Large signal characterization of a transistor requires a Load-Pull setup, but which one? Depending on the DUT specifications, the engineers need to adjust their bench to characterize their DUT fully. Low power setups require different measurement conditions than high power devices. On-wafer measurements have different constraints than those for connectorized devices, and the required tuning range at the DUT reference plane is also an important factor to consider when building a setup. a measurement software should be able to handle the measurements in different conditions and with different objectives
How does IVCAD enable easy Load Pull measurements ?
- Multi-Setup Solution: IVCAD integrates complete solutions for scalar and VNA-based load-pull measurements that allow large-signal characterization of unmatched devices.
- Instruments agnostic: IVCAD allows an easy and fast Configuration of different instruments that can compose your Load Pull test bench. The integration of numerous drivers makes it possible to control instruments from multiple vendors (VNA, power meters, tuners, power supplies, etc.). The RF signal generation, Impedance sweeps, power sweeps to scalar or vector measurements, IVCAD simplfies the characterization procedure to minimize the sources of potential erros without sacrificing the needed accuracy. The Chronogram is also a useful tool to set all the timings for the measurements using a graphical interface compatible with any instrument used. This feature speeds up the configuration process and reduces potential operator errors..
- Calibration Wizard: Regardless of the methodology applied (VNA-based or scalar load pull), and the type of device measured (connectorized or On-wafer), IVCAD simplifies the calibration process by using a step-by-step wizard unifying tests and procedures. Measurements on different benches using different instruments should not be a reason for incoherent results.
- Multiple Tuning Algorithms: For Load pull, it’s possible to choose between different tuning modes and tuner controls:
- Passive tuning, using Maury Microwave automatic tuners.
- Active tuning, using RF source as an active load.
- Hybrid tuning, using both a passive tuner and RF sources.
- Multiple Measurement Modes: Load-pull measurements can be performed using an impedance sweep at the fundamental frequency and/or harmonics. Different impedance patterns can be selected (arc, circle, rectangle and VSWR). Thus you can extract the performances of the transistor for different class of operations.
- Turnkey solution: You spend too much time developing your tools internally to control your instruments and processing a large amount of data: this prevents you from concentrating on your core business which is Transistor Characterization. IVCAD is the turnkey solution for you. It does not require programming skills and allows intuitive and flexible use of a professional measurement software.
- Real-time validation : Stop wasting time waiting for the end of a full test session to discover abnormal results. The live visualization helps you identify the source of errors and refine your measurements in real-time.
The little extras :
- Speed: The measurement time is an important factor in the study of phenomena in a non-linear device. You can optimize the characterization cycle of your devices with IVCAD, thanks to the instrument drivers optimization and a robust measurement algorithm.
- Single platform for the entire team: IVCAD offers multiple modules for different characterization needs. The Visualization modules ( Basic and Advanced) help gather all the results in the same application for post-processing. All the measurements are compatible from one module to the other allowing a better team cohesion and higher productivity. the data export capabilities allow the compatibility of the measurement data obtained on your bench with commercially available CAD software.
- Single and multi setup sweep plan: Setting up an automated characterization to speed up the measurement process can be facilitated using the sweep plan.
- Automate your measurements: Setting up advanced characterization specific to your needs can be facilitated using the script module and advanced IVCAD functions. Saving measurement configurations allows to standardize and streamline the characterization processes
- Simple data analysis: Plot power and efficiency contours using the extended viewer, to analyze large signal performance and quickly and easily find optimum impedances essential for RF circuit design.
- Handy Toolbox: Don’t look outside the software to perform basic calculations, S-parameters de-embedding, TRL fixture extraction and other conversions. Toolbox is a must have module that will make your measurement experience much easier.